Instructors Needed For
1st Annual STEM Merit Badge University
Gonzaga University * October 27th & November 17th
Merit Badge Counselors Sought to Introduce STEM Careers to Scouts
We are offering this special STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Math) Merit Badge University (MBU) to offer merit badges not available at Boy Scout camp so that we can introduce Boy Scouts to STEM-related careers and urge them to finish high school and to pursue advanced education. Learn more about the BSA’s STEM program at www.scouting.org/stem.
We are looking for university faculty, advanced students, and other qualified adults to serve as merit badge counselors (“full professors”) and assistants to help with instruction and record keeping (“adjunct professors”) in these merit badges:
Archaeology, Architecture, Astronomy, Aviation, Chemistry, Cinematography, Composite Materials, Computers, Drafting, Electricity, Electronics, Energy, Engineering, Entrepreneurship, Graphic Arts, Inventing, Law, Medicine, Public Health, Pulp & Paper, Robotics, Surveying, Weather, Welding
This is an excellent opportunity to help boys in our region earn merit badges that are seldom offered elsewhere and to get them interested and excited about pursuing a career in one of the many STEM fields. Share your career or field of study with young men and help them set goals for their lives!
See the merit badge requirements at this site: www.meritbadge.org (not an official BSA site).
Information packet for persons interested in being a merit badge counselor.
You may serve as either a “Full Professor” or “Adjunct (or assistant) Professor” at the MBU.
To introduce boys ages 11 to 17 to several potential vocations through merit badge sessions led by persons who are experts in those vocations. Through hands-on learning, our objectives are to cause more boys to finish high school, get Scouts excited about potential careers, and help Scouts to set good educational and career goals.
- We need adults with extensive knowledge and or experience in the merit badge subjects who can present the information enthusiastically and interest Scouts in the subjects.
- You will help Scouts discover potential careers, urge them to finish high school, and challenge them to pursue the advanced education for these hot career fields.
APPLY NOW to be a merit badge counselor (full professor) or assistant (adjunct professor) at the STEM MBU. For information, call George Johnson at 995-7330.
Steps to be a Merit Badge Counselor.
- Let us know you are interested. Email George Johnson and let him know which badge you are interested in being a counselor for.
- Go to myscouting.org, set up an account. Complete the online Youth Protection Training and print the training certificate at the end of the training. (takes 20-30 minutes)
- Download and complete the Adult Leader Application
- Download and complete the Supernova Mentor Application.
- Mail or drop off the completed forms to the Spokane Service Center, 411 W Boy Scout Way, Spokane, WA 99201
- No fee to register as a Merit Badge Counselor
- Criminal Background Check will be done on all applicants
- STEM Merit Badge Counselors will be recognized with a special edition "Full Professor" or "Adjunct Professor" patch.