Insurance coverage for members and chartering organizations

Various types of insurance are provided, required of, or available to Scouting members, leaders, and chartering organizations.

Comprehensive General Liability - provides primary general liability for claims related to official Scouting activities. Provided by the National Council for all registered leaders, and made possible as part of your membership registration fees. More details.

Automobile Liability - All vehicles used in Scouting activities must be covered by a libailiby policy that meets state requirements, with a recommended minimum of $100,000 combined single limit. Other requirements apply - please visit the National Council insurance coverage page for more details.

Chartered Organizatons - The general liability policy provides primary liability insurance coverage for all chartered organizations on file with the BSA for liability arising out of their chartering a traditional Scouting unit. More details are available at the National Council insurance coverage page.

Accident and Sickness Coverage - Inland Northwest Council will again provide accident and sickness coverage for registered members. This extra benefit made possible by Friends of Scouting; thank you for your support!

Accident and sickness insurance (also known as accident and health insurance) coverage for Scouts and Scouters furnishes medical reimbursement in case of death, accident, or sickness within the policy amounts.

Coverage is excess of all other insurance or healthcare plans in force. This policy is excess to any and all other available source of medical insurance or other healthcare benefits.

Who is covered? All registered youth and seasonal staff are eligible; registered leaders and volunteer leaders.

The coverage provided has maximum limits it pays and a maximum benefit period, usually 52 weeks from the date of the incident. Claims should be filed with the accident and sickness carrier as soon as possible (must be submitted within 90 days of any incident), along with any other source of medical insurance or other healthcare benefits.

To process a claim, download the claim form (see downloads list below) and submit directly to HSR as instructed within the form.

The policy number for all Inland Northwest Council units is:  PTP N00327402.  This coverage is not necessary for, and does not apply to, units chartered to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, as that chartering organization provides its own similar coverage.

Incident Reporting

Anytime an incident occurs when persons are injured - or even when there was almost an injury (a 'near-miss'), leaders are requested to provide an Incident Report (download below).  These reports are compiled to give volunteer and staff risk managers a big-picture view of risk areas so that Scouting can continue to become safer and safer. Please provide this form whenever ANY incident occurs, preferably within three days of the incident.